Chain link vs Privacy fencing.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tooltime

Reaction score
Chain link vs Privacy fencing.

I am in the planning stage of fencing my back yard (actually been planning on it being fenced since I moved in :D ). I have yet to get estimates, because I have been considering doing it myself. I know I can rent a post hole digger for roughly $60 a day. If I do rent one, I would hope to have all the holes dug in one day.
I am looking at roughly 250' LF in the back, plus approx another 50’ of shorter fencing to run down the driveway.
I have thought of alternating between privacy/chain because I only have issues w/ one neighbor.:p But I don’t want the overall look to be shabby, or half-heartedly done.
If I do chain, I would like to go 6’ in height. I know there are slats you can use ot make it more private, but they seem pretty expensive.

Any thoughts as to what I should do? Will I still need to concrete in the posts for chain link, or will using a post driver be suffice?

I have yet to install any fencing; so both will be a new challenge.

Pour a cup of coffee, this is going to take a minute(lol).
I personaly am not a lover of chain link fencing. I think there to comercial looking for a home and yard unless you have some very active dogs but thats just my own opinion. Building fences can be alot of fun if you take your time and don't push it and really follow the right steps .
Quote: Will I still need to concrete in the posts for chain link, or will using a post driver be suffice? Yes you will have to cement them in because when you tighten up the chain link there will be lots of pressure on the metal posts.
I like wood fencing myself and you can incorperate privacy, semi privacy with no problems and it will look great.
Your holes should be 1/3 the height of your post with a shovel full of gravel at the bottem so the water drains better.
I concrete with premix and I also bring the concrete up past the ground level but what I do here to make it look good is to use a piece of suana tube that is about 4" high. I cut a slit on the side so I can slip around the post and lay it on the concrete that I have already poured while it is wet but not to fast or it will sink into the wet conrete and then fill it up and then slightly bevel the top of the concrete so water runs off. I take the sauna tube off the next day.
Wood fencing really dosent take that much maintenance if you leave it natural just make sure you use stainless steel faseners otherwise you will end up with black steeks just below the faseners and I think thats yuk. If you decide to solid color stain it then get a very good brand of oil based primer and put on a good leberal coat then top coat with 2 coats of Acrilic latex stain and you will get many many years out of it before needing staining again.
Google cedar fencing and take a look at fencing designs, its well worth it before making any decisions.

Latest posts

Back