What is this Plant?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1victorianfarmhouse

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what the red-stemmed plant in the picture is. I have a smaller one in my flower garden, probably planted by the previous owner, and the leaves are much greener. The ones in the picture are growing on the slope of a pile of landscaping rubble near Chicago, along with lots of coneflowers, poplar trees and willows.

The red stems are not woody like most bushes or trees, the leaves are a dark green, the cone shaped flower pods have lots of small white flowers that become small, black berries. There don't seem to be a lot of roots, rather a large whitish main root that may connect several plants.

I've searched for hours on the 'net with no luck. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

vince

IMG00158.jpg

Can you post a close-up shot; maybe the top half of the plant?

You may also check your State or local agricultural extension. I asked my local extension about a bug last year and they were very helpful.

After hours of searching, I just found it.

It is common pokeweed; Phytolacca Americana, which is a poisonous weed. Out of my yard it comes....

Thanks!

vince

Fine Gardening magazine recently put a mystery plant identification feature on their website. You just upload your photo (or even multiple photos into one identification request) and type in your information.

ErinNik

Latest posts

Back