Help! Dirty Smell In Water

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmpressT

Reaction score
I have a new deep water well and there is a dirty metalic smell in the water. You do not smell it at first. After the water has run a couple of minutes then can smell it. You can smell it even in the freshly washed clothes. All of the water tests came out safe. I let the tap drip alittle and also noticed a slimey brownish yellow stain that runs from the tap to the drain. Your thoughts on what it might be. I know it is not sulfer I do know what that smells and tastes like. Your thoughts? Thank you

Sounds like iron to me. Have it tested for iron content. It only takes 1/4 ppm to stain and most well water in my area has anywhere from 1/4 ppm to as much as 6 ppm. There are several different methods for removing iron.

Is the water clear when it comes from the faucet?

I agree with speedbump. Definitely sounds like iron in the water.

Depending on your experiences there are self flushing iron filters you can install yourself or you can call the Culligan man.

You definitely want to get the water tested though - make sure you know all the problems.

(these are just examples of filters you can install. I'm not recommending any products here)

Iron Filter at Amazon

Iron Filter 2 (Google)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back