Interior door requirements for HVAC

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkJ

Reaction score
Our town house is an early 1970's model and still has the original interior doors. All of the closet doors are louvered and bi-fold and there are two other louvered doors (standard hinge) for access to the furnace units. One of the closet bi-folds goes has the washer/dryer and the water heater. All of these are ugly and very dated but I think the louvered doors are needed for the furnace and water heater. Is that correct? How can I determine the needed air flow/open space needed for these spaces? I have seen some glass doors that look way cool and thinking of changing to sliders instead of the bi-fold. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Take care,

Mark J.

Furnace and tank need air for the fire, Look to see if you have a duct bringing air in from outside. If you have that, no problem or if you can add that, no problem.

Our town house is an early 1970's model and still has the original interior doors. All of the closet doors are louvered and bi-fold

This is typical "builders aesthetics" which were also used to satisfy a code requirement for combustion air.

Those where they are only the function of a wardrobe enclosure can be changed to your choice of aesthetics.

and there are two other louvered doors (standard hinge) for access to the furnace units.One of the closet bi-folds goes has the washer/dryer and the water heater.All of these are ugly and very dated but I think the louvered doors are needed for the furnace and water heater. Is that correct? How can I determine the needed air flow/open space needed for these spaces?

If there is a physical separation between the W/D in the enclosure you can change the access to them, however, the requirement for gas fired water heaters, of that era, is 50sq.in of both high and low combustion air, and this is a "fresh air" requirement, not conditioned air from inside the occupied living space.

This can be determined by looking for screened areas within the appliance compartment.

The comfort heating appliance also has a similar requirement, however, often the combustion air amounts to a screened area above the unit of an area sufficient to satisfy the combustion requirements of the appliance. So, you have some facts to ascertain before you change those doors.

Take care,

Mark J.[/QUOTE]

Back