Can anybody identify this vinyl door jamb covering?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chicho

Reaction score
Have this stuff on everyone of my doors and a few are cracked and broken. Tried Google and have come up empty so far.

It is one-piece white vinyl, molded to cover the existing brick mould and held in place with adhesive. Seams are caulked. Door brand is Castlegate (don't think they are around anymore) Will try to attach pictures.

Thanks in advance .

1465606295250448745683.jpg

1465606329276188130624.jpg

1465606346861236396631.jpg

No. Saw that website. They seem to make prefabricated vinyl wrapped trim. This is definitely an aftermarket or add on product. It is dark now but on the cracked door you can see that the wooden jambs are just standard primed wood with the vinyl covering glued on top by whoever installed the doors/ siding originally.

Never seen anything like it around here. House was built in 1999 in the People's Republic of NY...

???

So what's the goal, to remove and replace?
I also have never seen after market vinyl trim like that.
I use aluminum coil stock all the time to wrap windows and doors, but you need a brake to bend it.

Yeah, remove and replace. Three of the five doors with this product still look perfect after 16 years. Two were apparently knocked into and broken. I think the product seems solid, a great idea. Just wish I could figure out the name and manufacturer.

Attached a few more pics of the broken doors.

1465677644152448745683.jpg

1465677678470188130624.jpg

1465677725614236396631.jpg

When I wrap a door I remove the old wooden brick molding and use undersill (also called utility trim) around the door opening set against the closed door.
The metal gets cut at the bottom to match the threshold (a bevel square works great to mark it) the metal gets bent in an L shape making sure to leave the metal at least 1" long at the top so you can bent it over around the inside corner and run past the head jamb.
The area near the door gets punched with a snap lock punch so it will just snap in place inside the undersill trim and not need any nails. The only nails it need will be hidden under the brick molding.
Then I install the top piece that runs past the side jambs.
Once that's done I install PVC brick molding.

Latest posts

Back