Repairing Bottom plate and studs

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceford

Reaction score
Any advice is much appreciated.
My house:
- built around 1983
- Houston, TX area
- Brick exterior
- 1 story

I had a water leak where the main came into the house. It's since been fixed. The leak damaged an exterior wall. The damage is about 2-3 feet of rotten bottom plate and the bottom 12 inches of 2 studs. It also rotted some of the inside cabinetry which covers the wall but i'm not worried about that now.

It appears the construction is: brick exterior wall, possibly some asphalt fiber (although I'm not positive on this), a sheathing that might be some sort of concrete board, insulation between the studs, then the interior sheet rock. Pictures attached.

I'm wondering if I can get away with repairing this from the inside at the bottom instead of tearing down walls - either interior walls & cabinetry and (hopefully not) exterior brick. My idea:

1. cut away all rotten wood
2. Insert a section of new base plate (treated)
3. Construct some sort of brace at the bottom of the studs by inserting a new section for the 12" part that's cut away. And put about 24" partial studs on each side that and secure to the healthy portion of the original stud.
4. Put some house wrap or asphalt fiber on the exterior facing side of the studs. And if possible insert the top of that under the existing wrap/fiber above.
5. Add sheathing by attaching to inside of the studs (because I'm working from the interior).
6. Replace the insulation.
7. Replace the interior drywall.

Thoughts? Is this advisable or should I consider getting a contractor to knock down the interior or exterior wall for the repairs. I'm try to save some money but I don't want future moisture or structure problems either.

Picture attached

damage.jpg

Welcome the site.

Yes to most of the questions. After more info.
What is the frame work above and what is it that the tools are sitting on.
We will talk about the wiring later.:(

Thanks for taking the time to look at my post.

The picture is the inside of a kitchen cabinet. The tools are sitting on the bottom decking of the cabinet. It's 1x12's on top of 1x4 supports on the floor. The supports are rotten also so I'll have to replace all the cabinet decking.

Above this is a formica countertop with a stove. The electric in the picture is running to the stove. And further above the stove is more cabinetry with the stove exhaust vent and furdowns.

Thanks again.

Chuck

I think you can make a good repair from inside. At least I would personally try and take that course of action before ripping into the brick work outside. I think trying to do anything thru the lower cabinet will be harder than building a ship in a bottle. You said there was damage there as well and I’m guessing the floor below is also going to need some patching. You will most likely need to pull the counter top but you could give a try at slipping the cabinet out from under the top. You will have to take care of that splice job to the range anyway so cut the power to that first thing and disconnect it and cover and tape the ends of the wires up good till you can get a proper box installed.

Once You get the base out take down the largest piece of drywall you can without going above the area that will show and get a few more photos of the damage and the guys will be able to help you reframe it and get it sealed. Also how to do the range wiring to code.

Welcome to the forum.

Just back up a little and give us a bigger picture that includes the cupboard. Before you take the cupboards apart.

Here's a couple of more pics:
1) backed away to show the cabinets. The doors open under the stove is where the original pic was taken. . The brick wall is straight ahead. The wood siding wall is on the left.
2) Outside on the other side of the brick wall.

Thanks again!!

cabinets view.jpg

outside view.jpg

I would disconnect and remove the range-top (cooking surface) first. That will give you more light and access. Hopefully it is on it's own circuit. Might be 220V so be careful. If you have a basement or crawlspace, you may be lucky enough to get underneath and have a better work area without dismantling too much of your kitchen. Otherwise we are going to have to be surgical about this. Is your countertop one piece, or does it have seams?

The gable of the cupboard is the peice that stands on the floor and supports the counter. Cut the floor out of the cupboard leaving an inch and a half beside the gables and across the front. Then remove drywall from the floor to an inch and a half from the gables and the frame work above.
I would not pull the stove yet and maybe never.
This clean up will allow us to see the floor below as well as the inside of the brick wall and the wood wall I am mostly worried about the stud at the corner, don't cut any structure yet.
We also need to figure out which way the ceiling joists are running above, Do they land on the wall with brick or wood siding?

OK. I will cut away that portion and post more pics.

The ceiling joists run to the brick wall.

A general question I think I'm seeing so far in the replies but want to confirm: It sounds like the full studs need to be replaced versus patched somehow. Is that correct?

No we are hoping your patch will work, we just want to make sure we fix everything while you have your head in the cupboard.
There will be a frame work that holds up the floor, take some of that out of the way too.
When it is all cleaned up take screw driver and poke at the framing and floor, you will soon learn what is good and what is soft or rotten

Back