Porch Beam Repair

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark237

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a porch beam that appears to have twisted on one end. The columns are due for replacement and I would love some help on how to repair the beam while I'm replacing the columns. I'm curious if it's as simple as replacing the columns on the straight end first and then wacking the beam back to the right position with the new column underneath the twisted area? Maybe using a slightly taller column to force it to stay in place? See Pics. There doesn't appear to be an settling of the concrete deck or movement of the porch roof so I'm not sure how the twist happened. Thoughts?

Thanks for your help!

image.jpg

Yup you live in a twisted house.;)
Inside that beam you will find 2 2x10s that are nailed together, with out enough nails to lock them up and hold them in place with each other and for what ever reason the have decided to warp.
Your beat bet is to replace the beam when you change the posts. Depending on how fancy you want to get, there are things that can be done so it won't happen again.
And welcome to the site.

Hi nealtw,

I see it now! What are your thoughts on leaving it as is and changing the trim to cover the gap between the ceiling? It's quite a span to put a new beam in so if it isn't going anywhere I'd prefer to just wrap it and hide the twist. Is this thing working it's way out at some point or just fine indefinitely?

Thanks!

If it's been like that for ten years ya it may last. If that's got like that in the last year, you have limited time to address it.
Changing the beam is not a big deal if you are planning on changing posts anyway.

We bought the house a year ago so I'm not sure how long it's been that way. Didn't notice it until recently. What's the process in changing out the beam? Would it be in the hundreds or thousands to have done?

I think you said you had a concrete deck. You would build a temperary wall next to the beam, raising the roof just a bit and remove everything, posts and beam.
Is it just roof going back to the house, or is there living space above the porch? The cost would be low for materials for just a beam and treated posts. Then it depends on how fancy you want to make it, or if you want to try to match what you have or change the whole length of beam. Then the unknown is always possible, will you find other problems when you get in there.
Why would you not do this your self?

I doubt that it's two 2xs nailed together if the beam is twisted. More likely a solid 4x beam. Laminated beams don't usually twist like that. You may be able to get a peak between the top of the beam and the roof to see how the beam is constructed.
You should jack up the end of the roof to take any weight off that post and see if the beam is twisted or just knocked out when someone hammered in that post.

Latest posts

Back