What is this pipe for?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KCV

Reaction score
I have a ranch-style house that sits on a hill with a walkout basement. On 3 of the 4 sides (front, back, one side) there is a piece of reddish corregated plastic tubing that sticks straight up out of the ground where it meets the foundation. The tube is probably 4" in diameter and comes up several inches out of the ground. I'm trying to determine: what is the purpose of these tubes? The reason I'd like to know is that two of them happen to be in areas where water pools in heavy storms. If they are connected to the stormwater drains, I would cut them off to ground level and let these pools drain. But if they lead somewhere that might cause damage, I obviously would not want to do this.

The drains originally had duct tape over the opening, which is another reason I've not tampered with them. The house was build in 1980. Any idea what these tubes might be for?

Is it possible that your downspouts used to connect to these? That was commonly done in the past where the sewers were combined storm and sanitary. Most municipalities make you remove downspouts from sewer now.

If you needed a Building permit back in 1980 the citi should know what that pipe is .

Back