Heat Tube

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougnsue

Reaction score
We own a double wide home that was new 14 years ago. There is a big flexible heating tube in the crawl space, that is connected through the floor to the furance and it goes over to the other side of the double wide to the heat ducts. The tube has fallen out of the hole below the furnace. I was able to stick it back up into the hole but I am sure it is not in the hole well enough to keep the heat from blowing out around the sides of the tube. Anyone else ever have this problem? Help!

Your lucky, most of the time it's a glued sanitary waste pipe that comes disconnected.
Push it into place and secure it with a couple of self tapping screws. Then apply a layer or of metal duct tape (not duct tape) around the connection.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will be doing just that. Another thing that has to be addressed is that the tube is just hanging there. When they installed it, they used some presswood boards to support it. These have become effected by moisture and most of the tube is laying on the ground. I will build some kind of support with 2X4's.
Again, thanks for your help.

Another thing that has to be addressed is that the tube is just hanging there. When they installed it, they used some presswood boards to support it. These have become effected by moisture and most of the tube is laying on the ground. I will build some kind of support with 2X4's.

If you went to your local auto wrecker and liberated the scizzor jacks from the trunks of some wrecked cars for $1 each, would that make this job any easier?

Hello DougnSue:
Flex duct shows up in some of the worst places and I have a total disdain for it anywhere. Under homes such as yours, it is subject to rodents and cats, if they can get under the floor. I have seen liters of kittens inside flex duct on the ground.
I recommend replacing the flex duct with the same size galvanized pipe, covered with sleeve insulation. It is amazing how much more air can be felt from the registers when the steel duct is used. Another alternative is to use manufactured rectangular duct with a short piece of pipe, vertically to connect the two ends.
Glenn

Man, I gotta start reading these more carefully. If it's flex duct then you'll want to use a large worm gear clamp to hold the duct in place. Flex duct will just tear around the self tappers. Sorry.

Latest posts

Back