For What Its Worth

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't like watching people risk their lives to win money any more than I like watching them eat bugs on TV to win money in a reality TV show.

I tend to cheer for the bull, as long as he's not killing or crippling anyone at the time.

I don't like watching people risk their lives to win money any more than I like watching them eat bugs on TV to win money in a reality TV show.

I tend to cheer for the bull, as long as he's not killing or crippling anyone at the time.

I agree to an extent but not to fall back to much on my childhood but I grew up with it and have always had an affinity for the rodeo. Are there Rodeos in Canada?

Oh, yeah. There are there rodeos in Canada.

Calgary, Alberta is home to the biggest rodeo (or one of the biggest) in the world. People from all over North America come to Calgary for the Calgary Stampede.

Calgary Stampede - July 9-18, 2010. Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I lived in Calgary for 6 years, and the Calgary Stampede isn't JUST a rodeo. It's a combination of all kinds of stuff happening in the city at the same time. There's the rodeo events, an agricultural fair, there's all kinds of rides in the fairground, there are fireworks displays going on every night, there's square dancing and western dancing competitions, there's basically something for everyone, but the center piece of it all is the rodeo.

Even the small town of Morris, Manitoba has a rodeo every year:
http://www.manitobastampede.ca/
That's where I first saw live bull riding...
(and decide it was 70% insanity and 30% sport.)

Last edited:
Oh, yeah. There are there rodeos in Canada.

Calgary, Alberta is home to the biggest rodeo (or one of the biggest) in the world. People from all over North America come to Calgary for the Calgary Stampede.

Calgary Stampede - July 9-18, 2010. Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I lived in Calgary for 6 years, and the Calgary Stampede isn't JUST a rodeo. It's a combination of all kinds of stuff happening in the city at the same time. There's the rodeo events, an agricultural fair, there's all kinds of rides in the fairground, there are fireworks displays going on every night, there's square dancing and western dancing competitions, there's basically something for everyone, but the center piece of it all is the rodeo.

Even the small town of Morris, Manitoba has a rodeo every year:
Manitoba's Only Pro Rodeo | Manitoba Stampede & Exhibition
That's where I first saw live bull riding...
(and decide it was 70% insanity and 30% sport.)

It's the same thing here in Texas. When the rodeo is in town you know it. Non stop advertising. The Texas state fair is something I think the entire world has heard of with Big Tex and all.

bigtex.jpg

Sorry. Just as you probably never heard of the rodeo in Morris, Manitoba, I never heard of "Big Tex" until now.

But, with that belt buckle, he sure looks like he would come from Texas. It'd sure be an embarassment if he was actually from Philadelphia.

Sorry. Just as you probably never heard of the rodeo in Morris, Manitoba, I never heard of "Big Tex" until now.

But, with that belt buckle, he sure looks like he would come from Texas. It'd sure be an embarassment if he was actually from Philadelphia.

He may be. We have a lot of non natives in Texas. We are a great state to move to. No state tax. Companies Flock here. Employees follow.

Well, I guess that would work fine in Texas. You have a beautiful climate. You have less government regulation in your state buraucracy and business rules. You have a larger population and are closer to large population centers, like California, Florida and Mexico.

Here in Manitoba, there is little we can do to attract very much business. We have a cold climate with essentially no geographic attractions (except a large cold lake about 50 miles away), we aren't close to any large population centers (except maybe Minneapolis). About the only thing we have going for us is that we're located in the geographic center of the continent, but when you consider that 99 percent of the population of the continent lives south of us, we're in the middle of nowhere, really. We have LOTS of untapped hydroelectric potential (that means producing electricity from waterfalls), but so does Saskatchewan, Ontario, Quebec and other places.

We here in Manitoba are hoping that global warming will help us in the climate department, and that our northern shore (on Hudson Bay) will maybe become ice-free year-round so that Churchill, Manitoba could become a grain exporting port (once again).

PS: About 20 years ago there was a big squabble in the Winnipeg and Manitoba governments as to whether or not to throw in public money to help build a Convention Center in Winnipeg. Someobody said that the reason there aren't any conventions in Winnipeg was because we didn't have a world class convention center. So, when our federal government offered to foot part of the bill, we ended up spending 6 million dollars on a world class convention center. And, now it sits empty most of the time, except when they rent the place for nothing so that someone can make some money off of it.

People still hold their conventions in Las Vegas, Honolulu, Atlantic City and Miami. I guess they just don't know that Winnipeg has a convention center.
;)

Someone said that the reason why more people don't come out to see the Royal Winnipeg Ballet is because we need a new Opera House.

Winnipeg Convention Centre
Canada's Royal Winnipeg Ballet > Home

LOL. Cold is cold, not to much fun about it. I think you guys would have a higher population if it weren't so cold. Funny that people think attractions are what people want when in reality it's just warmth.

Latest posts

Back