Ideas for opening in living room....

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick13

Reaction score
I just purchased a house and a 6 or 7 foot long wall in my living room has about a 4' x 3' opening in it. Unfortunately, as soon as you walk into the house this opening is straight ahead and you can see the bathroom door which looks a little weird. I originally wanted to take the whole wall down but it is load bearing. Instead of closing the opening, does anyone have any ideas to decorate this opening? I was thinking of putting shelves across the opening for pictures to kind of block the view of the bathroom door. Or possibly hanging something in the opening? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Nick, go to an antique store and find a stained glass window and hang it in the opening. If you dont like stained glass try putting a mirror in there.

I like the stained glass idea. The other idea is to fill it in with drywall, but would that make the space seem too closed in?

what's the opening for ? Is it a hallway, doorway, what? Why can you see the bathroom door through it ?

It's a small wall that makes a short hallway connecting to the kitchen. The opening is about 4'x3' about 40" off the ground that opens up the living room to the hallway and unfortunately you can see part of the bathroom door. Since it is a load bearing wall, the previous owner said he put the opening there to open up the living room I guess or for more light. I don't really feel like closing it up, just trying to get some ideas to decorate it. Stained glass or blocks are good ideas, looking for more before I make a decision. Thanks.

Last edited:
A tall flower arrangement with some lower-lying decorative items might work in a pinch?

I like the stained glass idea the best, although it may take some searching to find something the right size. You could also get a piece of glass and use the stick-on stained glass designs they sell in Lowes/Home Depot. It would be a bit cheaper and you could "try it out" before committing.

Back