Separation of stone-like panels (outdoor)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccpyue

Reaction score
My front door has side block on each side, built with building bricks and a concrete slab on top. Last year, when those building bricks start deteriorating, I asked someone came to lay a layer of "man-made" stone-like concrete panels on top of those bricks. Installer first nail a metal wire mesh on the original bricks surface, then use cement to glue these stone-like panels on top. Less than 18 months, all these stone-like panels separating from the bricks (see photos). But they still glue very tight that I cannot pull to move them by hand. So basically they are not falling off, just separation.

What is the best way to repair these separations? and What is the easiest way to repair these separation?

Please help.

Front wall crack 1.JPG

Front wall crack 2.JPG

Are there any cracks in the top slab where moisture could migrate down behind the veneer? Is there a tight bond between the slab and the house wall?

Any time you use a panel, you are faced with excessive opening if the joints (especially at corners). All movement (shrinkage, temperature or warping/twisting) is magnified. Between the joints with adjacent panels or between the panels and other materials should have a flexible joint the allow movement without cracking or separating.

There is nothing you can do about the movement between panels except make it cosmetically better and provide weatherproofing.

Dick

Are there any cracks in the top slab where moisture could migrate down behind the veneer? Is there a tight bond between the slab and the house wall?

There has no crack on the top concrete slab. I think water dripping along the edge in to the back of the veneer, and push the veneer out.

Shall I use exterior Acrylic Sealing to fill up all gaps, then spray water proof material, such as Thompson Water Proof solution, all over the veneer and the concrete slabs? or is there any other better way to fix it?

Shall I use exterior Acrylic Sealing to fill up all gaps, then spray water proof material, such as Thompson Water Proof solution, all over the veneer and the concrete slabs? or is there any other better way to fix it?

Look in your local phone book and find a company that supplies to the concrete trade. Go to their location and tell them your problem. They will tell you what is available locally and give you advise for application.

Back