Kinda bummed out-cannot get a Heat Pump

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outbacker

Reaction score
I had someday planned on getting a heat pump installed in my house to both heating the AC. I currently have 2 gas fireplaces at each end of the house, and that is fine except the center of the house (I have a rancher) stays chilly, and that is where the bedrooms are. I had my crawl space poured with concrete so it was good to go. Today I called a place for a Trane heat pump and was asking and about getting a estimate done (heat pump plus all the ducting) only to find out that it cannot be installed as my house is only 100 amp service. I never thought about the power side. Apparently it needs a bare minimum of 150 amp service, ideally will have 200 amp. And to upgrade my service is about $3000.00. Wow, that really bumps up the cost for this, so this heat pump idea may not happen. What about a gas furnace? What power service do they typically require?

Thanks.

I'd go talk to another dealer. A heat pump is nothing more than an A/C unit running in reverse. two pole 30amp for the compressor and a one pole 15-20amp for the blower.

Hey Outbacker:
The Trane dealer was probably includings resistance heat strips for emergency and supplemental heat. If you could be sure you would never need them, it may be possible to use what you have.
You might want to use the gas logs to supplement.
Glenn

Thanks for the replies, but I am starting to lean towards just getting a gas furnace installed. For those with a gas furnace installed, what size breaker are they linked to?

Thanks again for the all replies.

Thanks for the replies, but I am starting to lean towards just getting a gas furnace installed. For those with a gas furnace installed, what size breaker are they linked to?

Thanks again for the all replies.

You shouldn't need more than a 20 amp circuit for a gas furnace. Much less if you get a high efficiency unit with a DC motor. A gas furnace just uses electricity to run the blower fan and a tiny amount for the controls.

Latest posts

Back