Can I replace this window inside old door?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilyaz

Reaction score
I have an old basement door that has this weird window that consists of a bunch of glass panels that can be opened and closed like blinds with a handle.

I lose a lot of heat in the winter through this window, so I want to get rid of it. One option is to replace the whole door.

I am curious, though, if it's possible to replace just the window with some sort of standard or custom-made double-pane insert. Who makes/sells such windows?

Thx

door_window.jpg

That's a jalousie window in that door. Chances are it would be cheaper to buy a new door than have a window fabricated to fit.

Home Depot and others sell door lites, which is the window in a door and if you can't get the right size, the door could be recut to take one slightly larger

The best option would probably be to replace the door in it's entirety. There are tons of door options that could be made affordable. Plus, when you get a new door you can customize it to be whatever you want anyway so there won't be a style problem again in the future.

Take a look at these: http://advancedwindowsusa.com/doors

Back