Addition settled lower then existing home.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stTimeDIY

Reaction score
Okay, so we are in the house!!! Its been a pain in the butt, and I still have yet to take a hot shower. ( thats for another thread in short we need a new water heater). Anyway we come in to find it wasn't just cracked tiles in that amazing master bath. Half of it is an addition and what seems to have happened is they built it flush with the house, then it settled. All the tile along the separation is broken and loose. I'm assuming I will have to build up the floor to the addition so that it is flush with the existing floor, then lay new flooring. I'm assuming i can find youtube videos on how to do this but any other suggestions would be welcome. We may even put wood floors it not sure yet. Thankfully my realtor hooked us up with a guy who is licensed and A GOD SEND he has been here every day this week helping us get things up and running.
I can include pics later if needed.

Congrats on the move. The question you have to answer is did the addition settle or is it settling? If you think you will see more movement there is no reason to fix the cosmetic stuff. Look for clues inside and out from top to bottom.

Again thanks for coming back and letting us know you made it.

Look into mud jacking or helical piers and possibly hiring a structural/civil/geology engineer for a one-time consult. And for the geology, also ask your neighbors.

Thanks, I'll deff have someone out to check it before i put time and money into re doing the floors def don't want to waste it just to re do it. We did have the house inspected and structurally it is sound. There were small cracks that we need to re seal that the inspector pointed out from settling but otherwise its sound. Talking to the guys who are doing the electrical work on the house for us and HVAC they know the inspector we used and said he's a "toughie" so that made me feel more confidant in the inspection nor have they really uncovered anything he has missed. Someone came in at some point and sealed up our dryer duct though.. and the hot water heater is in a bad place as in leaves no room for a washer at the hookup. we tore down drywall today and tomorrow or the following day our "guys" are gonna come in and move the plumbing over so its near the far wall so that i can put my new washer and dryer in place when they come this weekend.... off to Lowes again for at least the 12th time this week so we can go pick out a new hot water heater.

Carefull with the big box store, they do have good prices must of the time but just when you really trust them they will zing you with something that is way over priced. Hopefully your enthusiasm lasts longer than the job.

Back