Exhaust Fan In Bathroom

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galaga1

Reaction score
I need to replace the exhaust fan in my bathroom. I have taken off the cover to expose a plate that is in front of the exhaust fan itself, but cannot figure out how to take this plate off to get to the exhaust fan. The plate is where you replace the light bulbs. Thanks for your help.

Jay Grabowski

Sorry, I cannot post pictures. I do not have a digital camera, or a cell phone.

This is not splitting the atom with Einstein! Did you turn off the electrical? Hope so ... The plate might be held in place by some locking tabs ... but that is rare. Usually, you can access the screws or nails that are holding the fan body in place. Remove those bad boys and you can remove the fan itself.

The unwiring is easy and you should keep the wire clamps just in case. You MUST use wire clamps because vibration can cut the wires in the future and cause major issues. The biggest hassle in a basement is reconnecting the exhaust hose/pipe. The video I found is helpful but they use duct tape. LAME! Duct tape is for many things EXCEPT ducting. Using silver foil tape is more airtight and the adhesive lasts forever.

You should be on your way after reading and viewing this. :D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_VzcZmr0Hw[/ame]

OP,
If you remove the light bulb, is there a nut underneath that secures the plate in question?

There is a wing nut in the center of the plate. If I loosen it, nothing happens. THhe plate over the motor is still intact.

Jay

If it is a nutone the reflector should fall out when the nut is removed. A photo would be helpfull. Do an immage search on google and see if you can find a photo there.

Back