Bedroom Light Switches

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

92sb4x4oh

Reaction score
I have read and heard that now all bedroom lights must be on either dimmer switches or "manual-on occupancy sensor". What does his mean concerning the rewiring that I would like to do in my home. I thought I could just put in single pole on/off switches. Also, can I put remote controls on any ceiling fans that I install during the rewiring? Thank you.

Must be a local thing. First time I heard that one. Current code does require a neutral wire in all switch boxes. This allows installation of the types of switches you describe that require a neutral connection.

I read it on a web site 'Ask the Electricain' Since he is out in California it could be a California thing.

It could be possible in California. They have some energy saving stuff in their codes. I think fluorescents are required in some rooms as code.

I am in CA. If you are replacing old switches, you can change out like-for-like. I have NOT encountered a local code requiring dimmers or sensors. Keep it simple.

Latest posts

Back