Advice on redesigning downstairs layout

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

datliz

Reaction score
Advice needed! We are looking to open out the space in the back of our house to create a kitchen diner with a snug area. I have attached the current layout. Can anyone advise how this would best be done? The current kitchen area is a step down from the study so if we took this wall down we would need to factor in this in any kitchen design. Any ideas on what would be the best use of space here? The rooms are quite dark as we're on a corner plot and the sun doesn't get round the back much so might look to put velux's in.
Any advice gratefully received!!

image.jpg

Welcome to the site.
What is, integral garage mean
Is the garage next to that on the left
Do you know the direction of the joists above, ceiling &floor above.
Where is the step down
Where is the kitchen plumbing

The garage is accessed through the kitchen which is I think why it's called an integral one. I'm not sure about the joists but the step down is between the kitchen and study. It's just one step. The kitchen sink is at the top of the kitchen in the small gap where the two windows are. Many thanks

So the wall between the kitchen and study is a bearing wall and any changes there could be expensive
I suspect the kitchen and that other room was built as part of the garage. With a little investigating you may be able to remove the wall between the kitchen and that other room.

You are not showing a door between the garage and the house, there should be and exterior door to seal out auto off gases.

There is a fire door shown at the top of the garage leading into the kitchen and breakfast room. The garage is not used to store our car anyway just for storage

Can you provide panoramic photos of the front, rear and left side?

Back