Enclosing a recessed patio already under main roof

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browland

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a recessed porch that is under the main roof of our home. It has 3 walls currently surrounding it. It is 17 feet long and 8 feet deep. It is currently a patio slab.

I would like to enclose this area to make it part of my dining/living room area. This would require removing 1 load bearing wall, moving 2 small non load bearing walls, bring up the slab to interior height (its 8 inches lower)and creating the new exterior wall that I would like to have a French door and window.

I have posted a diagram of the before and proposed after. The small partition like area on the left is a corridor leading to the bedroom. I would basically like to shift this part back onto the patio area. Ideally I would use what is now the back wall of the corridor as the front wall/doorway.

How tough of a job would this be? Ballpark price? Best way to bring the existing slab up to interior height?

URutmS7.jpg

eNS2qpV.jpg

A lot depends on what is barring and where.
Is there another floor or roof. What part of the country are you.
Floor in the house , slab or wood?

We are located in south east Alabama, and our home is a single story slab foundation. I will also add that our AC unit is actually rated a good bit higher than our square footage, so adding in 136 sqft keeps us well within the AC's capabilities. I am going to try to find a picture of the back really quick and post it.

How do you know the wall you are removing is a load bearing wall?

Have you been up in the attic space and looked at how the trusses are built and supported?

Do you plan on bringing the door and window straight out and become the new wall? looks like a lot of that could be reused?

Do you have house plans that were used to build the house, or have a way to get them?

Our builder would most likely give us the plans if we asked, as we have sent a good bit of business his way sans realtors.
I have been in the attic but did not take a pic. I can do that tonight, but here is a rough sketch based on what I recall.

Also, I don't think I would reuse the window and door simply because I want to add a French door, which I would assume would require a smaller window unless I could find a relatively narrow French door. In regard to wiring I would nee to move 1 switch panel, and 2 sets of outlets. I would also need to remove those recessed potlights from one switch and add it to the switch for the living room. (all of them are in the same panel)

blwUKSP.png

I will also note our from porch has slightly different siding, so I would probably go with that style to give the back some contrast and save me from having to interlace the hardiplank on opposing sides of the addition.

Front view to show siding I would probably go with:
RSSmTlJ

Last edited:
Behold, the porch I want to be part of my house:
SuVS2FK.jpg

Thanks.

Some little Items that keep things in perspective; In plan, where a wall is removed, dashed lines clarify, all exterior wall are load bearing and the following gives you things to look for; If your house is single story, in the attic, if the ceiling joists continue over it, end over it, are spliced over it, or you have roof bracing landing on it, It's a*bearing*wall. If the ceiling joist are parallel with the wall and you have roof bracing landing on it, It's a*bearing*wall.

Here is a link that
should be of assistance;
http://www.awc.org/pdf/WCD1-300.pdf*

IE., the return wall on the left is load bearing and will have a foundation beneath.

To start with, after you have obtained your building permit, is to saw-cut the patio and form the outside of the new foundation level with the house slab.

Over-pouring a slab requires a relief of the moisture in the new pour, and that is accomplished by punching a lot of holes in the existing slab.

Illegitimas non-carborundum

Our builder would most likely give us the plans if we asked, as we have sent a good bit of business his way sans realtors.
I have been in the attic but did not take a pic. I can do that tonight, but here is a rough sketch based on what I recall.

Also, I don't think I would reuse the window and door simply because I want to add a French door, which I would assume would require a smaller window unless I could find a relatively narrow French door. In regard to wiring I would nee to move 1 switch panel, and 2 sets of outlets. I would also need to remove those recessed potlights from one switch and add it to the switch for the living room. (all of them are in the same panel)

blwUKSP.png

I will also note our from porch has slightly different siding, so I would probably go with that style to give the back some contrast and save me from having to interlace the hardiplank on opposing sides of the addition.

RSSmTlJ

That does look like a four bearing girder and if it is a factory built girder the question will have to go to the truss company. If it is a full span girder everything could come out.

Your builder would be a great source of info on what might have to be done to keep the city happy.

The roof structure should be an interesting one. take a few pictures.

If you can obtain the plans, and trusses were used, ask for the engineering for the trusses to make sure they were designed to span to the header even with the exterior walls.

When you add sq.ft'g. you are also required to make additional provisions for natural light and ventilation.

When you say panel, what sort of panel?

blwUKSP.png

RSSmTlJ

Had a chance to talk to the builder, and he is going to pull a copy of our plans for us and possibly have some of his contractors come take a look. He seemed to imply that it would not be too big of a deal. Basically would just need to cut the existing patio slab off in back to poor a footer then back fill to bring it level with the inside. He also mentioned that they might have an LVL already installed above the wall I want to remove, so if thats the case it should be a pretty straight forward removal. Here's hoping.

I think the barring points that you had figured on would be the worst case. The city would still have the map for truss placement, you might get a copy of that.

Back