outdoor/deck staircase code?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philphine

don't give him tools!!!
Reaction score
i've been reading old threads and noticed where someone mentioned the angle on stairs should be around 34deg to be in code. does that apply to outside deck stairs also? i've been looking at how to replace the ones i tore down and was thinking i'd go 45deg. some of the stairs on the factory floor where i work are 45deg and they seem comfortable to me. much better than what i took down (i could have attatched rocks to the old one and charged a rock climbing fee). i don't know what angle they were, but most people were scared to use them.

plus 45deg would just be easier for me to get the wood for and figure out the pitch and whatnot, along with fitting in the space i'm thinking of putting them better than a more shallow angle. would it be ok? thanks.

Look at your city, county, municipal website. Often times they have some of that info on there. Even download some reference materials for you to use when putting together plans for getting permits.

Here's the one for my city.
http://arvada.org/docs/112690650892178uncovered-decks.pdf

Treads must be at least 10", with a rise of not more than 7 3/4".
Min 34" width, handrail height 34" - 38", etc.

Stairs are worked out using ratios, the ratio of the height to the go, otherwisa known as the slope. Change one thing, you should change the other to get a comfortable and safe stair.
45deg is way to steep for a residential stair.
I have a fair bit about stairs on my site if you want details.

Latest posts

Back