Sealing Concrete Driveway left behind dark spots

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdrymer

Reaction score
I just finished sealing our concrete driveway that is approximately 2 years with an water based silaxane sealer (Eagle Natural Seal clear sealer from Home Depot). The 5 gallon bucket was supposed to cover approximately 1,000 square feet which is roughly the size of our driveway however we ended up only using about 2/3 of the entire bucket. We noticed in some areas the sealer really didn't seem to soak into the concrete.

Is the lack of absorption because the driveway is relatively new or is it because there could have been an old sealer on the driveway that is still doing its job we are not the original owners)? I also attached a couple before and after pictures as we noticed after we sealed there were some dark spots left behind. Is this sealer that did not get absorbed and is darkening the concrete, and is there a way to remove/clean it off without affecting the newly applied sealer? I cleaned the driveway with Simple Green Concrete cleaner and then pressure washed it and allowed to dry for 24 hours before sealing it yesterday.

Would you say the dark spots are from moisture that is trapped in the concrete or the result of the sealer being applied too heavy in those spots, or should I just simply wait a few days and see if it brightens up? The manufacturer directions even indicated that the concrete could be damp when applying. In either case is there anything I can do to remove those spots or will they resolve over time? Is there a way to safely remove the sealer in those spots and let it dry longer before reapplying? First picture here is the before picture, followed by the after pictures.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Yes it was pressure washed 24 hours before applying following the manufacturers directions which also indicated the concrete could even be damp to apply.

give it some time - where's the other pic you post'd in the other forum - that 1 REALLY showed the problem

That picture was during the sealer application, when all the surface was still wet except for the white spots. Those areas do not look abnormal now. I'm hoping it gets a bit warmer here (been relatively cold for September) so things can dry out more and I'll see if anything changes...

Back