Two Circuits Sharing Junction Box

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doechsli

Reaction score
I currently have a junction box inside a wall where a switched line separates to drive a light and a fan. (1 switch turns on the light and fan in a bath) I am pulling a new line to drive the fan but would like to attach inside the junction box as pulling the new wire all the way to the fan is problematic. Is this a bad idea? I wasn't sure if there are code restrictions on two circuits sharing a junction box.

I am sure if I am wrong someone will be happy to say so, but to my knowledge there is no such restriction. As I understand what you are saying, you have one wire powering the fan and a light in a switch box. You are wanting to run a a second power wire to the switch box and use that to power the fan independent of the light? If this is correct then I see no problem.

I would just put in a second switch for indenpendent control, no need for another feed.

Blue Jay has a point. Why do you need another circuit for just the fan? If both the light and the fan are running on the same curcuit now why do you need another feed from the panel? Install a separate switch for the fan unless there is a reason we are not aware of.

Back