Replacing Prehung Front Entry Door in Stucco

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks!
I apologize for the delayed reply. I guess I won't know until I remove the old door but I see concrete block when I look inside the door latch strike plate.

Someone please talk to me about measurements and they mean to me. A couple of installers have said that I have an "odd sized" or "special order" door @ 36"x80"...One went as far as to recommend a 34"x80" and that I should return the one I bought.

OLD FRAME 38 1/4" x 81 3/4"
OLD DOOR 36 1/4" x 80 1/4"

NEW FRAME 37 1/4" x 80 3/4"
(1" narrower & 1" shorter than old frame)
(1 1/4" narrower & 1 3/4" shorter than rough opening)

NEW DOOR 35 3/4" x 79 1/4"
(0.5" narrower & 1" shorter than old door)

"Rough Opening" posted on label of new door 38 1/2" x 82 1/2"

aljx.jpg

Label is wrong, rough opening is door plus 2" wide and door height plus 2.5 except for out swing, then it is height pluse 1 3/4".
Your contractors may have been trying to solve problems with trim outside. But short of that they are smoking something funny. As long as it is smaller than the hole it fits.

Thanks!
And why does it say the door is 36" x 80" when it's actually 35 3/4" x 79 1/4"?
I think they want to sell me a door, too. ;)
FWIW, what do I do, if I have to scrap the idea of saving the existing brick mold?

Ya saving the old brick mould wood require the same size door jam. That would explain why the sales people were talking about a different door.
The only thing that comes to mind is extending the door jam forward and add the trim where the stucco turns. The stucco in the ressess may have to be removed.
I went looking for examples and only came up with this one. You can see the extension on the frame is where the red paint starts

ressessed door.jpg

You won't like but. You have a recess to the door that is stucco about 6". You could remove that stucco for the six inches and install the door where the old one is and add wood to extend the jam all the way out and put the brick mold out against the stucco.

Thanks!

Yes, I was wondering whether I needed to cut straight in from the front and just take a small "slice" out of each side to make the opening wider...

OR

Cut in the sides of the recess i.e. "carve out" the piece of brick mold from and leave a corner of the front part of the recessed stucco for the new door to butt up against.

FWIW, It appears the solid door I bought is typically used for garage entry doors so, I may just use this door on the garage and get a nicer door with full view impact glass for the front entry. Ideally, what measurements would you look for?

Also, any particular grinder & blades you like for this job?

Best bet is to find a door shop, buy a wood door and have them cut to fit and install hardware and leave the old frame in place. We have done that where you just drop off the old door in the morning and pick up new door in the afternoon. We had one way out of square and just told them what we had and they cut the door to fit.

A small angle grinder with an abrasive masonary blade will cut stucco and make dust.

Back