Finishing My Basement

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow!! what a day, I got up early to get the window cuts marked and have everything ready before my dad showed up. I just got the saw out at 10:30 when he arrived, it worked for about 20 minutes and not very well at that.
I had to call the rental guy at home because they are closed on sundays. He showed up around 1pm with a new saw because the belt on the one I took was shot. (boy its nice to get good service) He didn't know much about the cut and break saw that I was using because they just got them but we got it figured out and boy did that saw cut. we cut a 32x48" window out in an hour with this beast. Expensive but worth the price.

I'll post pics tomorrow but the saw has 2 9" diamond blades on it that are 1 inch apart, it will cut up to 16 inches of concrete. you cut about 3 inches at a time and then break the piece between the two out and repeat till done. Much better than the 14" cutoff wheel I thought I was going to have to use.

I got the 3 window frames in and the windows are temp'd in because I ran out of time and energy to finish. I'll show some pics tomorrow, too tired tonight.

Pictures from last weekend.
IMG_1900.jpg

IMG_1922.jpg

IMG_1940-1.jpg

IMG_1941.jpg

I still need to shim and set the windows in permanent, but wow did putting windows in make a huge difference. This weekend I hope to finish building the walls around the perimeter, except for the one around the window by the ladder. I plan on using that hole to bring the sheetrock in, just pull the truck around back and pass the sheets through. I might also get the walls around the furnace and water heater built too. that would leave me with the area that I am using 2x2 furring strips by the stairs to build walls for another weekend and then start on bringing down the ceiling

Nice job.:)
Looks great with those windows in. I noticed the pressure treated lumber at the concrete. Good choice, just remember not to use aluminum roofin nails to nail the window flanges. They will not last. Use some copper roofing nails or stainless steel.
Aluminum metal and new PT= failure .
Nice job.:)

Yeah, I Got the coated screws for putting the windows in, I'll have to remember to get special nails for doing the brick mold later.

Yesterday I got the most of the rest framed. I have to frame under the stairs and put the 2x2s above the stairs and down the wall to the bathroom and then I have it all framed. hopefully I get to that next weekend, would have done it today but I forgot to go rent a air power nailer for putting them up. Got too busy shingling my father-in-law's garage. the next step will be to bring down the ceiling.

Does any one know if they make any sort of metal strap that I could use to bring the ceiling down about 8" from the floor joists? or if an inspector would pass with metal straps? My dad said he could make me all the straps I wanted out of some old Behlen grain storage building straps that are 2"x1/8".
We were thinking we could cut them to length, put 2 holes top and bottom and put a 90* twist in them (I am running the false ceiling joists perpendicular to the floor joists above). My father-in-law thought it would be a better option than using 2x4 pieces since they seem to crack out when you put screws or nails in at the end.

I would check with your local guy first...if you are having it inspected. They will make you take it down if it does not fly with em.
I would do the straps if it is ok. Usually we use some pieces of 1/2 plywood for firring down with wood. Keeps them straight because there is so much to attach to.

I would install a removable drop ceiling to access stuff, that's my 2 cents.

WOW, a nice clean canvas. Where to start and what to do. I wish I had your basement project. :)

Here is a helpful article that will assist you at the begining stages of your project. Basement Renovation

Can't wait to see how it turns out...keep us posted.

Here's that Radonguy!

You really should do a test before you drywall, although I mitigate finished basements all the time....just makes things easier and usually cheaper. Your living right next door to Iowa the state with most radon county for county in the lower 48.

its been a while since i updated my progress. since last update i finished nearly all the framing, put the 2x2s up on the stairway and adjacent walls (used a wood to concrete air power gun), and started hanging the framing for lowering the ceiling. Hopefully this week i will get more time to get the ceiling frame work up, then I will start the electrical work. so much to do, so little summer free time to do it in...

here's a couple pics.

basement010.jpg

basement011.jpg

oh yeah, i've also been spending some of that evening free time down here just sitting under the stairs with my family, Ya just gotta love tornado alley!!! at least none of the tornados that have hit around here have hit where I live, but 10 miles away is close enough.

Looks like it will be a nice place to hang out when it's done...for different reasons.

well I got the ceiling done a couple of days or maybe a week ago, so I'm ready to start wiring it up i think, its at least time to put the new can lights up and make them usable because it got darker with the new ceiling under the old lights . More pictures and updates to come soon hopefully
Justin

Can anyone tell me how to determine how many ducts I need for my main room in the basement. the room is 24x24. I've looked online but so far have not been able to find anything by which to calculate this.
Thanks
Justin

Wow, its been forever since I've posted to this thread. I finally got my electrical, plumbing, and building inspections done and passed. I had to redo my plumbing because I didn't use the correct glue when going between the ABS and the PVC, even though the Oatey multi or general purpose says it works on both it apparently wasn't up to code. So I went and bought some new pieces and the aqua colored glue for abs to pvc and re-did it. I also had to install a vent pipe for the sink that was closer to the actual location. apparently code states no further than 3.5' from the sink. after that plumbing was good.

electrical told me I had to have all pigtails made up in the boxes for the rough-in and that I needed to have hardwired smoke detectors in the bedroom and outside it that were connected with the ones on the main floor. Not too big a problem because I already had a detector down there that was Naturally in the wrong spot above my tub. All of that is now done and insulation is partly up. Sheetrock is on the agenda for Tomorrow finally.
I'll get some more pictures tonight when i finish the insulating and clean up the mess from wiring etc.

Where have you been? We started to wonder if you gave up on that basement.:D
Glad to hear your passin the tests. Can't wait for the finished product...then what?

Well InspectorD, most of my lack of being here has to do with this small problem.
basement012.jpg

I should have listened to my wife when she told me not to set the laptop down on the armrest as I went to put Bella back down to bed.

But I have also been slow at working down there with my daughter taking up much of my time (she's just too precious not to spend time with her at this age). Last weekend we got almost all of the sheetrock up. here is a pic of the main room.
basement014.jpg

The bathroom plan changed slightly from the original. We put in a big soaking tub instead of the shower and opted for a pedestal sink instead of the cabinet.
basement017.jpg

nowhere near complete but i have the bathroom functional for my wife because she is planning on a home birth and wants to use the tub.
from a construction point of view I'm glad that I opted to install the sink now because i need to take it and the rock off of the wall and put a 2x4 behind where the sink secures itself.
all in all its coming slow but its coming.

Last edited:
Back