Why won't our appliance lights last?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Fir

Reaction score
In our refrigerator, our microwave and our oven, the light bulbs don't last more than a few weeks; sometimes they last only a few hours.

Yes, we do use appliance bulbs.

No problem with any other lights in the house and FWIW, I have never had to replace the garage door opener light in the 14 years since we built the house.

Voltage at the outlets is 120, plus or minus about 1/2 volt when I measured it at 5 outlets in the kitchen.

Second question: Do they make 130V appliance bulbs?

Thanks

Doug Fir

Hello Doug:
I have never seen 130v appliance bulbs but, then I don't get out much. I also wonder if you could use a "rough service" bulb; if they come in the wattage you need. Appliance bulbs are usually 25w and rough service bulbs are usually 40w or more.
Another thought would be one of the new compact flourecents if their base could stand the heat. There again, I haven't seen one specified for appliance use. However, they are rated to last 5 years, it might be worth a try.
Glenn

Might sound crazy but I would be inclined to contact the appliance manufacturers and give them the same info and see what they say. Couldn't hurt!

Back