Stairway dilema...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hondadrv24

Reaction score
I keep looking at my stairs as I go down to work on finishing the basement, and am concerned that it is going to be very difficult to move things down into the basement with the current arrangement that they are in.
IMG_1478.jpg

I am worried that once I put the banister up it will be impossible to bring anything other than a sectional couch and inflatable furniture/beds down and around the corner.

My dad was over this weekend helping with the ceiling and we discussed things we could do with the stairs, the best idea we have had is to make some stairs wider toward the bottom of the main stairs, moving the landing out farther into the room and easing the transition to the basement.

The second best idea is to totally rip out the stairs, and the closet above them, tear out the wall upstairs and put the stairs in going the other direction, which would eliminate the problem with getting things down but be a ton more work with trying to patch in where the wall used to be on the ceiling, etc. any ideas welcome because I see this being a big problem down the road.
Thanks in advance Justin

did a little more measuring and figured out that flipping the stairs won't solve the clearance problem because I would just be hitting the ibeam instead. I'm thinking about the removable bannister, probably my best bet.

My first thought too, probably cheapest option too! - I would say the last beam does seem to be in the way a bit though, even if you did have a removable banister, no way of moving it left a bit?

Back