Kitchen wiring questions!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quattro

Massive Tool Belt
Reaction score
Hey all!

I spent some time at my breaker box over the weekend, re-routing some basement circuits and fixing some things the previous owner screwed up. :mad:

Overall, I was able to "gain" one 20A circuit. This is good, because my kitchen remodel is going to require at least one more circuit. On to the questions:

1. Should the new fridge have it's own circuit, or can it share with something else? It is a fairly standard GE unit with freezer on the bottom (no dispenser, but it does have ice maker)...brand new.

2. Can the new over-the-range microwave share the same circuit as the electric-light cooktop? The cooktop is gas, but will need juice for ignition. I assume this is OK.

3. The current range/oven has a dual 40A breaker, and I think 4/3 wiring (or is that 6/3?). We're replacing that with a double wall-oven. Can I just use this same circuit?
I hope so!

That's it for now.

Thanks!

1) Doesn't have to but should. It is always a good idea to have the fridge dedicated.

2) It is a very common, and legal, to have an OTR micro and gas range clicker receptacle sharing a circuit.

3) Can't say for sure without specs of the new oven. But...I would all but guarantee the existing circuit will be fine if 6/3 .
Check the requirements of the new oven. This is key.

Just checked the cable running to the range...it's 8/3! Still haven't looked at the new oven specs (it's still in the box in the garage).

Thanks for the help, petey!

Visit the MFG. web site, there will be a PDF with almost all the information.

Thanks guys! The online manual says 7.2Kw @ 240V. I think I'm set.

Back