Unknown cement?pipe in attic

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanmaterb

Reaction score
Hello all! I'm stumped here. I am working on extending my existing closet space in my master bedroom. There's about 3 feet of space to the left of my closet opening which would allow me to expand;however, looking down this space from the attic reveals a cement? I think, pipe about 4" around. It seems loose because I can move it around. And it doesn't seem to connect to anything. It extends from the ground to the top of the wall in the attic. I have not looked in the craw space to see where it runs but I can not tell if it even goes to anything. Any advice on what this could be? Is it safe to break out and remove?

Welcome to the site. Don't be to fast a breaking the pipe if is cement type it will likely have asbestos in it. Do the crawl around down below and see what is going on. The space is large for a 4" pipe, space may have been left for chimney that was never installed but your pipe could also be a vent pipe for the plumbing, dusty old cast iron could look like cement I guess.:rolleyes:

It is probably asbestos pipe, here it was used for water heater venting and any other heat venting. It may be just a sleeve for metal pipe on the inside which would explain why it may be loose. I would verify both ends before you remove it and if you do, please wet it first or call an asbestos guy. When we remove it from the ground (I am a pipeline contractor) we have to wet it and wrap it in plastic. It is the dust that will kill you.

Back