Condensation in Ceiling Fan Mount

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TWG1572

Reaction score
Hello! First post here...

We bought a new house and I'm working through the to-do list, last night was balancing a noisy/wobbly fan in the master. The balancing went well, but I ran into an issue I wanted to ask about.

The fan is in the 2nd floor master, with a cathedral ceiling. When I pulled the decorative collar (for lack of a better description) that goes around the bracket, there was condensation all around the inside of it and a bit or water dripping. Given the blast furnace like heat/humidity we have been having, my only guess is that hotter attic air is infiltrating through the junction box for the fan and hitting the cooler collar. I don't think I have a leak issue, since the condensation seemed to be uniform around the whole collar.

I have yet to climb in the attic to check the insulation. Getting to that spot in the attic is somewhat complex (there are multiple attics and levels), and I didn't want to roast myself to death. With outside air temps around 100 degrees, I'd hate to guess what the attic was.

I have yet to see this specific spot in the attic, but when we inspected the house the insulation all appeared acceptable and deep enough. The house is 10 yrs old, with blown in insulation.

Does the whole condensation theory sound reasonable? And is it a function of the heat we are having, or should I make plans to check out the insulation in that area once it cools off? I'm assuming that the vapor barrier is broken, or I wouldnt have moist air...

Most often the moist air is in the house and you get condensation when it runs into a cold surface, cools the air until it can no longer support the moisture. In order for your thoughts to be right you would have to have a lot of moisture in the attic. When it cools down you will want to get up there and have a look around.

That's a good point. I didn't think about having a wet spot somewhere else that could be driving up the attic humidity. I think it's supposed to cool down somewhat in the next couple days - probably worth a trip up in the attic...

Keep in mind a leak anywhere will show up at walls and light fixtures, anywhere there are holes in the vapour barrier.

Back