New to DIY, Fixer upper woes

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthewwj

Reaction score
Hello to all,
I am 28 and just bought my first home, a fixer-upper, 3 bedroom 3 story house that I bought for A STEAL. :D

The house was owned by an older man, and for the last 3 years he lived in an assisted living home, and noone took care of the house.

The house was broken into and the copper plumbing ripped out, as well as the electric wire.

upon inspection, it looks like the house is structurally good, but a complete remodel of the kitchen and bathroom is in order.

i am shooting for a move-in date of mid summer 2008.

Welcome Matthew. We look forward to hearing of your progress. Be sure to take some "before" pictures.

From one newbie to another, welcome.

Gotta hate those drug-addict copper thieves....pathetic :mad:

If your code allows it, you might want to look into PEX tubing for the plumbing. Thieves won't vandalize your home for it, since it is plastic. My father, who has been a plumber since the 50s, hates the stuff, but he's a traditionalist, which is cool. My other friend who has been a plumber for about twenty years now swears by it.

I look forward to following your project.

You have it right-on Bull.... I am a licensed plumber, and planned on using PEX tubing... It is honestly a no-brainer!!
Copper is about $2.05 a foot.... PEX is about $0.45 a foot...
Now, the fittings are a little pricy, but its an automatic savings on cost, PLUS added efficiency because PEX tubing does not conduct heat like copper does.

BTW... I took pictures and tried to post them, but they were too big.... I am trying to get them smaller sized but i can get them to about 500+K but need smaller... any suggestions??

thanks matthew

Matthew, I never resize my pictures. Are you trying to post them directly from your computer? Any pics I want to share on the net in these kinds of forums, I post in my photobucket.com album. It's free, you can store a ton of pics there, and you can choose to have your album open to viewing or private. Plus, you just remote-link to your image, so you don't use the memory of the site you are trying to post it on, like this one.

BTW, with respect to the PEX, we both forgot to mention how much more quickly it can be installed compared to copper, and how there is no acetylene soldering next to kiln-dried dimensional lumber, which always scared me!

Latest posts

Back