Two Hots -- One Box

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgyD

Reaction score
So -- as part of a remodel, a professional electrician recently wired up my bathroom prior to the drywall going up. The only thing left now is to put in the receptacles -- something I feel competent in doing. However, I'm now seeing something I've not seen before and would like some help.

One receptacle box has four black, four white, four grounds in it. Two of the blacks are hot. One of them gets hot from the breaker. The other gets hot from a lead from another box four feet to the left (that box gets its hot on the SAME circuit as the first wire in this box.)

I can identify a third set of wires as going to a third receptacle. The fourth set is not hot, but I cannot deduce where it goes.

Any thoughts?

George

Welcome to the site; How big is this box, single, double ? Is it a switch box for a Fan? Light? or an outlet?

sounds lime the wires are being connected/spread out from that box to the rest of the adjacent rooms and or the bathroom. But it all depends on what you asked the electrician to do. Maybe you can ask him?

Box is definitely for a receptacle. No doubt. It is single, but was installed by another contractor, not the electrician (who left after the wiring was done and intended to return. Job is 100% over budget which is why I'm DIYing.) It was suggested that the fourth set of wires goes to the lights. Thoughts?

Box is definitely for a receptacle. No doubt. It is single, but was installed by another contractor, not the electrician (who left after the wiring was done and intended to return.
That was my assumption. Very few self-respecting electricians would run all the loads to one 1-gang receptacle box like that. ESPECIALLY with four 12/2 cables. That is a classic handyman/DIY method. I'll all but guaranty that the box is over-filled.

Job is 100% over budget which is why I'm DIYing.)
Who's fault is that?

It was suggested that the fourth set of wires goes to the lights. Thoughts?
At this point none. Sorry.
I have NO idea why they would have brought a line from some lights to as receptacle box.

Over budget or not I would have the electrician come back. Don't skimp now on something as important as getting the electric right.

Questions should have asked before the board went up, I too think you need to have this figured out by someone on site. You may be digging into your new walls.

Latest posts

Back