old rim joist and foam spray

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kofted

Reaction score
Can you answer a question about an old home? If not could you recommend someone who can help?

This is a house that was built in 1935. It has the stone foundation. What is the cement between the floor joists up against the rim joist for? Is it okay to remove this in order to get a better seal when adding spray foam to the rim joist? Does this cement hold the building in place? Does it keep the building from blowing over in high winds? I had an energy audit and was told I need to have the rim joist sealed but that it will not seal
well with this cement. I have attached a picture.

I put a picture in Basements under the Photos of this site. The picture shows above a window but this fill continues around.

Thank you,
Karl

That looks like someone’s DIY idea and not a very good one. Looks like a mixture of stones and mortar or cement. That’s not a good condition IMO. It also looks like it will be a nasty job getting it out. I haven’t personally seen this before. Others should come along with advice.

I should add that this mortar rock fill between the floor joist is common in old homes in the twin cities of Minnesota area. There is a rim joist behind it.

Thank you,
Karl

You might try asking around in your area the reason for doing this. I have lived in several homes of that age in Pa. and seen many more around here and haven’t seen this done. Did the person doing the energy audit have any suggestions on what others have done with this condition or why they did it back in the day? Is new construction still filling the areas? Does your wood show any signs of rot where it is next to the fill? I guess you will have to just pick a place and remove the fill in one bay and see what you find and also get an idea how hard it will be to remove. I personally don’t see where it is doing anything.

Back