Header problems

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electech46

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm in the process of remodeling my kitchen and have recently discovered my (latest) unforseen issue. The house was built in 1956 it is a single story house with a full basement. About 25 years ago my wife had her uncle (supposedly a carpenter) replace a double window in the kitchen with a sliding glass door. In the process they really messed up the header which was above the old window. They actually cut the jack stud and king studs and removed them from one side of the header and left it unsupported. I can see where the roof has sagged and this actually answers some questions I was having with other framing problems I was having. It looks like the roof has sagged about 1/2" since that is the space I have between the cap plate and the header on both ends (the cap plate is still in contact with the header in the middle). I know I need to replace the header with a new one that is 4" longer than the current one and will replace it with 2 2x10 nailed together. What I don't know is how to get the roof back up to where it needs to be. Can anyone offer any advice?

I think that you could install the jack and king studs on one side, put the header up, and attach it in several spots to the cap plate, as best as possible as it would be leaning down at the other end, use a 4x4 under the other end of the header on top of the jack and then jack it up until you could get the studs underneath at the other end.

Just a thought have not done it before, good luck

First I would toenail the header in at the center so the header stays up on its own then cut your 2x4's to the height that it should be and angle it in place. Then start jacking up in the center then using a sledge hammer start banging the 2x4's in place on each side. take your time . Pump the jack about 2 times then bang both 2x4 evenly til you cant move them any more then jack some more.. Repeat.

make sure the post you use on top of the jack is cut perfectly on a 90 angle and use level use a 4 foot level on it before you put any real weight on it.

I jacked up a 22' open span about an inch doing something simular. little different senerio than yours but i kicked out the jack about a dozen times no matter how level i got the post just because of the massive weight.. its a scary thing watching the jack and post slowly start push out.

Latest posts

Back