Registar added to sun room having concrete floor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyT

Reaction score
Hi Folks, First time writing here. I do enjoy reading the solutions to various problems on this site. I'd like to run a 8' length of flexible duct in the basement out to an add-on sun room. This is an older brick home in pretty good condition. The duct would run perpendicular to floor joist before angling up through rim joist. Just like some input on the project. Couple questions come to mind: I'm figuring on bracing the rim joist as it is not setting on foundation. ? Would 2 posts on opposite sides of rim joist section removed be enough brace? I'm debating whether to try register in sun room floor or on brick wall.
Any input will be very appreciated. Thanks for your time. Hope I explained this well enough.

The studs above these joists "should" be inline with the joists and if so it would not be a problem removing a section of rim joist. Why not just cut a hole to fit duct.

Sounds like either floor or wall option would work, and both will take a bit of effort. Possibly the "least work" option would be to place the register in the floor, sawcutting and chipping out the concrete for both the register and the duct run (which you should insulate) serving it. The brick wall option will involve making sure you have enough support for the mass of bricks still in place, by retrofitting a steel lintel that will fit without being absurdly ugly, above where you open up the hole for the register.

Thank you for your info and time BridgeMan.
I did op for the floor register option in sun room. I rented a smaller "demolition hammer" from HD and it still took me about 3 hrs. I have yet to install the 3.5x10 metal take-off from the register before attaching 6" flex duct. I have to agree with you that it is a bit of a chore.
Thank you again for your input and time. TonyT

I did'nt get a chance to thank you for your input & time regarding my "register in concrete" project. Thank you very much nealtw.
TonyT

Back