Swapping Kitchen and Family room

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rseth123

Reaction score
Hi Folks:

My wife is thinking (just thinking) of swapping our family room and kitchen as she feels the family room is more bright in light.

So my question to you guys is that is this even an option and if yes then what kind of cost i should be looking at as I am planning to reuse all of existing kitchen on the other side.

What are the major concerns? Like moving the gas pipe, water and drain?

BTW kitchen and family room is part of one big rectangle.

Major concerns would be the electrical, water line, drain lines and gas lines. The drain line would probably be the biggest issue since it must have a certain slope to drain properly. The other lines can be run up, down, around any objects that block them.

Major concerns would be the electrical, water line, drain lines and gas lines. The drain line would probably be the biggest issue since it must have a certain slope to drain properly. The other lines can be run up, down, around any objects that block them.

Thank you. Do you think that if can tap on any of the 2nd floor bathroom's drain line? Any idea what kind of cost I maybe looking for this project?

Picture has first floor and second floor plan. Need to swap the kitchen and family. As you can see from the picture that there is a bathroom right above where i am thinking a new place for the kitchen for drain. Not sure that is it easly to pull drain and water line from that wall to center of the kitchen for sink.

swap.jpg

Your really going to have to find some local people to come look at this one, there's just no way anyone here could even guess at what it's going to take or cost.
Plus does she know she's going to be without a usable kitchen for about two weeks to do this?
Your also going to have to get about two to three permits to do all this work. Plumbing, wiring, and strutual.

More like two months if it is a concrete slab then there is saw cutting and all kinds of other things to contend with.
This is certainly not a DIY sort of thing.

I wouldn't take on this much as a DIY and I was a GC for ten years.

Andy.

Back