Carport with concrete floor for temporary living?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renoven

Reaction score
Hi everyone! We need temporary quarters for remodeling, so we are considering closing in our carport for the purpose.

The concrete has no vapor barrier, so I am wondering if the bare floor would be livable? We will have heaters and dehumidifiers in there. We are in the humid South, and in the summer, the carport floors have gotten wet from the humidity.

The concrete doesn't need a vapor barrier because the condensation isn't coming up through the concrete but the humidity in the air condenses on the colder concrete surface. Once you close the space in you'll probably find it's no longer an issue. Much like the colder tile floors inside don't get damp.

I did not add .....that it is basically an attached garage that is finished on all the surfaces...nice wood ceiling and nice paneling on the walls inside a brick exterior. It is an garage without the doors.

The concrete doesn't need a vapor barrier because the condensation isn't coming up through the concrete but the humidity in the air condenses on the colder concrete surface. Once you close the space in you'll probably find it's no longer an issue. Much like the colder tile floors inside don't get damp.

I hope that is the case. I thought that because of a lack of a vapor barrier, the moisture from the ground was being wicked into the concrete.

I hope that is the case. I thought that because of a lack of a vapor barrier, the moisture from the ground was being wicked into the concrete.

Moisture does wick from cold to warm thru concrete, the question is how good is the drainage around the garage. Is the garage insulated.

Sometimes cheap rent can be had on trailers from people who pay to store them off season.

Moisture does wick from cold to warm thru concrete, the question is how good is the drainage around the garage. Is the garage insulated.

Yes, it is on 3 sides and we will insulate the new wall to enclose the space.

I live in a very humid area and I've seen condensation on my outside concrete walls yet my garage is dry. As I pointed out earlier. If it's still a concern for you I would just lay down plastic on the slab and cover it with cheap carpet.

I did a total DIY renovation to my first house while living there. I used tarps and separated the house into two half’s and started on one half and lived in the other. We only had one bath and when it tame time to gut it I built a temp shower in the basement and we used the kitchen sink and the toilet was on and off quite a few times.

The last house we did we had a place to stay for a few months till the dirty work was done and now we are following the above plan in the future.

As to your carport, Sure why not you can live just about any place for a while. What are you going to do about cooking and bathroom?

The down side is a covered area like the carport makes a great workshop when doing a job like this and also a good staging area for materials.

How long is it going to take and how much of the work will you be doing? How many people will be displaced and what comfort level do they require?

Back