Insulating and Covering HVAC duct in garage

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paynekj

Reaction score
Hi, we have some HVAC ducts that run along the ceiling of our garage. I assume they are feeding the rooms above them. Currently they have some really old insulation and some kind of white HVAC tape covering them. Its coming loose, it wasn't very well done (was like this when we moved in), and just looks bad. It sags down a bit and the ceiling isn't super high to begin with. What would be the best way to insulate these ducts and then cover them up so they are more aesthetically pleasing? I need it to look a lot nicer. For reference, it runs most of the width of the back of our 2 car garage.

Today that would be inside the envelope of the house, boxed and insulated and dry walled.
More important is your description. It sounds like asbestos and if it is coming loose, it is getting airborne and is dangerous.
If that is what it is don't touch it, it is seldom a DIY project, get a pro to look at it.
Post some photos, please.

How old is the house? I agree with Neal but if the house is less than 30 years old it probably doesn't have any asbestos in the insulation. I'd box it out and cover it with sheetrock. After doing a better insulation job.

Back