DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > 16 inches on centre

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:21 AM  
Mastercarpenty
Liked 90 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Conventional wisdom in a trade often relates to how the work is currently done, and if you change an aspect the previous wisdom may no longer be as applicable. Every trade and every structure is a system of many single things working together, so changing one thing can lead to the need to change other things.

Most trades are rather single-minded about their own work, not really understanding what all the rest is about. Those of us who have experience with all aspects better understand how it all works together and what each trade needs for them to do their own jobs best. And a lot of things we do aren't necessary when they once were, such as the 16" OC stud spacing. Engineering tests have shown that an exterior load bearing one-story wall is strong enough in most conventional homes with studs run 24" OC, and in some places this is allowed by code and done. I expect it will someday become the norm, but not until the rest of the 'trades' get on board with it as everything like insulation, piping, fixtures, and so forth are designed for 16" OC usage. Thus 'conventional wisdom' doesn't always give the optimum results and it should never be blindly accepted as being the best way.

Always question the "why" of how things are done and you'll begin seeing the possibilities of better ways to do those things, but always keep the big picture in mind when the new ideas come along since nothing truly works all alone- it's all part of a system and that is where most of the new ideas fail.

Phil

nealtw Likes This 
Old 05-08-2017, 08:37 AM  
Sparky617
Liked 262 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 162

My first house, a townhouse, was built with 2x6 exterior walls 24" OC, it also had 1" of extruded styrofoam on the outside and 5.5" of fiberglass insulation in the walls. With only the front, back and roof exposed to the outside, it was pretty cheap to heat and cool.

Builders can be slow to adopt new tech because they have been bitten in the butt by some latest and greatest: polybutylene plumbing, Masonite siding, aluminum branch wiring. Some new things are pretty much accepted now and widely used: OSB instead of plywood, roof trusses instead of rafter and joist, floor trusses and I-wood beam floor joists, prehung doors, manufactured stairs, etc. As trades training has died in this country and labor costs have gone up, products that help a builder build faster with lower skilled employees and subs are readily accepted.

Last edited by Sparky617; 05-08-2017 at 10:17 AM.
People Like This 
Old 05-18-2017, 08:00 AM  
MrMiz
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Somebody probably already said this but make sure your paying attention to what your laying over the top of the studs. The idea is that 16's on center will allow what ever you lay on top of it to hit the center of the stud... So 4x8 sheets of drywall, osb, plyboard should hit right in the center if you measure that right. So rather than focus on getting 100% accurate 16s focus more on where your drywall is going to go on. I'm not saying to neglect level and plumb, but if your material that goes over the top isn't properly secured it's never going to last/look good. Make sure that your going to have a place to screw it down and you don't have any funny floating seams. Be thinking about how to minimize the cuts and seams. If you can plan that out better you should have better luck when you're Mudding too. Oh and make sure you have all the crown's on one side.

Last edited by MrMiz; 05-18-2017 at 08:04 AM.
swimmer_spe Likes This 
Old 05-18-2017, 08:02 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2947 Times on 2583 Posts
Likes Given: 4855

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMiz View Post
Somebody probably already said this but make sure your paying attention to what your laying over the top of the studs. The idea is that 16's on center will allow what ever you lay on top of it to hit the center of the stud... So 4x8 sheets of drywall, osb, plyboard should hit right in the center if you measure that right. So rather than focus on getting 100% accurate 16s focus more on where your drywall is going to go on. Make sure that your going to have a place to screw it down and you don't have any funny floating seams. Be thinking about how to minimize he cuts and seams. If you can plan that out better you should have better luck when your Mudding too. Oh and make sure you have all the crown's on one side.
That was covered, I told him the first stud is 15 1/4 from the end of the wall.
swimmer_spe Likes This 
Old 05-18-2017, 08:07 AM  
MrMiz
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
That was covered, I told him the first stud is 15 1/4 from the end of the wall.
I thought maybe it was, but I just wanted to point out that if your starting in a corner and there are no studs in a corner your going to be adding a Studs or cutting every sheet of drywall if you only pay attention to 16s.
swimmer_spe Likes This 
Old 05-18-2017, 08:20 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Quote:
I thought maybe it was, but I just wanted to point out that if your starting in a corner and there are no studs in a corner your going to be adding a Studs or cutting every sheet of drywall if you only pay attention to 16s.
There were a few things left out in this discussion and you have noticed one.
There is always one stud missing in the corner for drywall backing and the one wall should be built with two studs in an L shape so when the other wall stands up there is drywall backing.

The other was, all the bottom plates should be cut and drilled and fit in place and duplicated for the top plate and if you are building the wall laying down make sure you mark this side up and remove the bottom plate and build the wall, then it is guaranteed to fit.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:33 AM  
swimmer_spe
Liked 66 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
No drywall will be going up as long as I am here.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:17 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
No drywall will be going up as long as I am here.
It doesn't matter, easy enough to add later anyway.