Looking for alternatives to sheet rock on one wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m2244

Reaction score
Hello,

I am remodeling my son's room and with one of the walls I want to leave the old sheetrock and just put something over it because it has blown in insulation and it makse a huge mess.

I was thinking about shiplaping that one wall, but then I would need to install moulding around it and I wonder if that would look weird when the other walls are new sheetrock.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I guess my questions is "What would look good for this"?

Panelling, painted or natural? But you still need molding.

Shiplapping would make it look like an exterior wall.

You did not mention the color of the other walls, but some flooring planks or planks with beveled edges put on the wall at a 45 degree angle might work and define the wall from the blah walls. - The wood can be natural, stained or just painted an appropriate color.

Dick

if your drywalling the rest of the room just dry wall over the existing drywall on that wall. or they have some nice nature scapes wall paper that makes a room fun

If the sheetrock is in reasonable shape on the existing wall - don't cover it with anything. Just fix any holes in the old wall, sheetrock the other walls and as you finish them do the same to the old wall - that is if you are texturing the new sheetrock do the same texture on the old wall; if you are taping and sanding do the same on the old wall.

When you are done - a coat of paint and you will be the only one to know the different.

Back