v notch tool for dry wall?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sisyphus

Reaction score
hello, is there such a thing as a v notch tool for cutting drywall? when I took down the drywall in the bathroom overhang that had two 45 degree outside corners, noticed that the installer had somehow cut it and was able to just fold the drywall over the corners without cutting separate pieces. thanks

I have never seen it done. Assuming there was wood in behind the corner??? The only way I have done outside corners was to butt pieces and then use metal or plastic corner bead strip. I just did an archway with the plastic that’s notched to take a curve.

I never say never would love to see a photo if you can.

Interesting! I guess for a nice straight corner this would work well. You would fasten the piece and then take out the V. For a not so straight corner you might have problems. Still, for an outside corner, you want the protection that a vinyl or metal corner bead offers - drywall itself is not all that durable.

You do the measurement on the back of the drywall and draw lines 1/4 inch away on each side of that line. You need to make a jig that is on 22.5 degrees and set the depth of a box cutter knife so you don't cut ther paper. The jig is just a board with the angle on the side to guide the knife. You will wreck more drywall than you use until you get on to it.

thanks for the responses, I decided to just cut individual pieces. just curious as to how the installer did it. must have been a pro.

I think 45 would be the angle. And sounds like a lot of work and luck.

I think 45 would be the angle. And sounds like a lot of work and luck.

You cut 22.5 degrees on both sides of the line, as you would with molding and on a 90 degree corner you would cut at 45 a half inch from the line. I've only seen this done on small angles like 45 and less.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back