Metal roof coating???

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockrz

Reaction score
I know a little 'ol lady that has a fairly small house with a nice looking metal roof... but she has leaks when it rains.

I've heard of a coating you can put on metal roofs to seal them.

Any suggestions on products / brands for this?
And, if this something that you spray on or roll / brush on?

I'm going to take a guess and speculate that she has an exposed fastener roof system. You would be better off replacing the fasteners with the next size larger screws. The problem with exposed fasteners is, metal expands and contracts, a little more than an inch over a hundred foot run. The movement of the metal causes the whole to enlarge. This action coupled with the deterioration of the grommet on the screw causes leaks. Coatings need to be applied over a clean, rust free surface and can be a lot more expensive than installing new screws. Either option will have to be repeated again in the future.

Wow, I thought metal roofs were permanent and they did not leak.

So it wouldn't do any good to put several coats of sealer on top, that is supposed to be somewhat flexible so it can expand?

Well, I wish there was a giant rubber mat you could throw over the top of the entire house!

She doesn't have any money to spend on trying to hire a roofing company to do something to fix it right so I thought I'd ask about coating since there are companies that claim it works well.

So, I guess you'd have to clean and rough up (sand with sanding paper) the metal roof surface in order to get the coating to stick?

The process is to pressure wash the roof, apply a bonding primmer, then coat with an elastomeric coating. There are flashing grade coatings and mesh to go over the screws and around penetrations. Cutting corners effects how the products will preform.

some kinda foam...
PolyureaSpray.jpg

Latest posts

Back