Heating Help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadrunner1659

Reaction score
Hello,

I need some help after the results of our home inspection.

The condo that were looking at has a trane forced air heat pump that is 14 years old and an electrical heating unit indoors that is 24 years old.

I need to know a few things about the two heating units. From what i know, forced air is economical to a point, because after the temps dip into the low 30's their isn't any more heat left in the air to pull in...this is when the electrical heating unit turns on...no so economical...this is all i really know about the system.

First off, does anyone have any idea what the potential cost could be to replace these two units?

Second, is their a system out their that is a more economical choice or because the condo is setup this way, we have to stay with a forced air unit with electric heat system backup?

Thanks

Welcome
Call Your Home Inspector and ask, they need to do some more explaining so you understand, that's what you paid for.:)
You are talking about a heat pump, which is using a forced air system to heat the house.
Give them a call and ask what it is you have. And any older systems will not be able to be updated without changing the whole system. The refrigerants have changed and system sizes have changed.
If you know the manufacturer you can google it and get the spec's.

Welcome
Call Your Home Inspector and ask, they need to do some more explaining so you understand, that's what you paid for.:)
You are talking about a heat pump, which is using a forced air system to heat the house.
Give them a call and ask what it is you have. And any older systems will not be able to be updated without changing the whole system. The refrigerants have changed and system sizes have changed.
If you know the manufacturer you can google it and get the spec's.

Call your home inspector is the right way that you have to do.

First off, does anyone have any idea what the potential cost could be to replace these two units?

From my samples of installed prices, in thousands, for resi. HVAC equipment in general:
1.8 = low value
39 = high value
8.1 = sample avg
6.8 = sample median

with half costing between $4K and $10K.

The median US household income is about $50K, so using
ZIPskinny - Get the Skinny on that ZIP (demographics by ZIP Code)
if you find in your area the median income is $70K, then my figures should be scaled up by 7/5 ths.

Latest posts

Back