Clogged Sink/Disposal

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NathanWW

Reaction score
I have an Emerson food disposal model Badger 1, and I'm pretty sure it is causing a clog in my sink (drains very slowly). The other side of the sink drains fine, so it is definitely a clog before they join.

The disposal also sounds dampened compared to normal, and I feel like there is a plate or some other metal covering just behind the blades (blades are spinning fine when turned on) that I don't remember feeling before. Does anybody have an idea what could be causing the clog? Thanks.

About 4 years. Think I figured it out though. Must be some egg shells clogging the pipe just after the disposal.

It may also be a worn out Badger...
They don't last long...
Try an Insinkerator Evolution for that....

It sounds like you have ground up something you shouldn't have.
I had the same problem the other night after cutting up 2 bunches of celery for stuffing. Things that are "stringy" get caught in the "teeth". Turn the water on, the disposal on and dump a couple handfuls of ice cubes down the disposal!! That should clear up the grinding ring, and drain will be restored.

My disposal gets clogged if I try to grind up small loose stuff like lettuce. I keep a plunger handy and and after a couple of pumps, it runs fine. Try a plunger, if you haven't already. Buy a new one just for the sink.

My disposal gets clogged if I try to grind up small loose stuff like lettuce. I keep a plunger handy and and after a couple of pumps, it runs fine. Try a plunger, if you haven't already. Buy a new one just for the sink.

If you have a dishwasher hooked up to the disposer it could get a little messy plunging...:eek:

Back