Is this a cracked drain pan?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surfer949

Reaction score
I noticed water leaking from my ceiling and checked the AC unit up in the attic. There is water accumulating on one side of the pan. The water does not rise enough to exit through the drain pipe of the pan. Instead it looks like water is sipping through the drain pan as the wood underneath the pan is wet.

Is my drain pan leaking?
11c4d06cea.jpg

The pan is a back-up for overflows due to a clogged drain line. The pan shouldn't have any water in it. Has your drain line become clogged? If it has a trap it isn't unusual for scum to grow in there and clog it. My HVAC guy cleans mine out 2x a year when he does the regular PM. You can pour some bleach down the drain to help clear the scum.

See if the pan rusted out.
If not unload a can of flex seal to fix what's left of it.

It looks like the condensate pipe is draining into the overflow pan and the water is draining out through the overflow pan drain. If that's the case it's not the way it should drain. You should have 2 drain lines. One main drain line that dumps outside or into a sink and another for the overflow pan. Your overflow pan should always be dry if the main drain is working properly.

See a proper layout here.

http://inspectapedia.com/aircond/Condensate_Drip_Tray_Defects.php

It looks like the condensate pipe is draining into the overflow pan and the water is draining out through the overflow pan drain. If that's the case it's not the way it should drain. You should have 2 drain lines. One main drain line that dumps outside or into a sink and another for the overflow pan. Your overflow pan should always be dry if the main drain is working properly.

See a proper layout here.

http://inspectapedia.com/aircond/Condensate_Drip_Tray_Defects.php

The water in the pan is accumulating on just one side and is not rising high enough to overflow through the pan drain.

I'm having a A/C come today.

I understand the water accumulating but the issue is where that water is coming from. Your photo shows water coming out of a pipe. Where is that water coming from? Water should not be getting dumped into the pan.

I understand the water accumulating but the issue is where that water is coming from. Your photo shows water coming out of a pipe. Where is that water coming from? Water should not be getting dumped into the pan.

A/C tech came and the water was coming from the primary pan. He noticed the drain pipe was clogged so the used nitrogen to clear the pipe.

No more water flowing into pan. So far so good.

Latest posts

Back