Wiring with push on connectors

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yod12

Reaction score
I put two T12 4 footer tube fluorescent fixtures up and was about to use some Wago Wall Nuts push in connectors. Box says they're good for 12 - 16 AWG stranded and 12- 18 AWG solid wires. The solid wires go right in and stay in. The stranded come right back out.

Any one use these, or any tricks to gettin it to work?

Search on

back stab

for reliability issues.

Back stab devices are different than the WAGO connectors. I have not seen any reports of the same issue with the WAGOs as with the back stab receptacles and switches.

Still,
push-on implies spring loaded implies low contact pressure implies low contact surface area implies not-so-low contact impedance that increases with time implies heating implies loss of contact spring temper.

But, with the low currents drawn by fluorescents it might work over a reasonable fixture lifetime.

Last edited:
I agree with KOK . . . the heat-up and cool-down associated with those fixtures makes me worry about connectors coming loose. I pre-twist the wires and cut off the end for a good blunt tip. Using wire nuts, I twist on and then apply a couple tight turns of electrician's tape. You'll never have to worry. ;)

Back