wind noise from windows

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.windtech.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/13.pdf

Rent a strong fan to duplicate the problem. Run experiments. Make baffles or shields of varying sizes close to the window or nearby.

The pitch is related to the 'cavity' size and wind speed, like a whistle or a bottle with air moving across the top opening.

See what works and what doesn't.

Last edited:
Hate to sound obvious . . . Did you call the window manufacturer? They would hear about these kinds of problems and might have a fix. Why don't yuo post a picture of your windows with the solar shades? A close up of the trim and the corners might be useful too.

I bet it is the geometry of the trim. You can buy me a cup of coffee if I'm right. :D

And the shield can be something as simple as duct tape. If it works, the next task is to make something that works as well but looks better.

For auto problems of all kinds there are Technical Service Bulletins detailing fixes that work. There almost certainly is something similar that the window maker publishes that is distributed to installers.

With all the complaints about windows making noise when it's windy I could find no patents on window design that supposedly stops this problem.

Maybe the designs are good but the noise is primarily due to improper installation. Along those lines, when the people came to install our French Anderson doors they used the instructions as a hand towel. And yes, the installation was improper but the doors opened to a roofed porch so we were possibly spared problems because of this.

Last edited:
We moved into a brand new house we had built in 2010. Up until this year we had no problem with howling windows, but for some reason this year (four years later) it's bad. The noise drives me crazy and it really gets loud sometimes. I'd love to hear about a solution.
Ruth

Welcome to the site. Kind of a guessing game from a distance but a few thoughts. Is the wind coming from a different direction than the norm? Have you sealed up leaks around doors, perhaps there is a shortage of air in the home.
House may have settled a little, check problem windows for signs of stress in the drywall near by and the trim work.

I read back to the early posts in this thread, and nobody ever checked to see if the noise was audible outside the house (just cuz you hear by the window doesn't mean the window is the cause). That would be the first check. If the whistling cannot be heard from the outside, then a more thorough check of the inside is in order. Your ears are actually very good directional antennas (antennae?) Get something small that you can use as a sound blocker and slowly move it past your ear. You will notice when the sound is blocked and then move your search in that direction. Repeat as needed. When you have narrowed down the source, someone hear will probably know how to fix it.

Back