Construct half wall over metal railing?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratedpgwc

Reaction score
Hello-

We have a small dog that is getting to be around middle aged, and were thinking about looking into replacing a portion of the metail rail at the top of our staircase with a half wall. I was curious if it would be possible to build a frame over the existing metal rail without having to take the rail out. We would also be interested in having a permanent baby gate, possibly one that could slide in and out at the top of the staircase to keep our dog from running/jumping downstairs. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Hello-

We have a small dog that is getting to be around middle aged, and were thinking about looking into replacing a portion of the metail rail at the top of our staircase with a half wall. I was curious if it would be possible to build a frame over the existing metal rail without having to take the rail out. We would also be interested in having a permanent baby gate, possibly one that could slide in and out at the top of the staircase to keep our dog from running/jumping downstairs. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I would say post a pic up of your metal railing. You could frame around it yes but pending how long it is really determines how and were to put the studs unless you use the railng itself as the support.

Latest posts

Back