removing a patio

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abledsoe

Reaction score
The house I just bought has a 12'x12'x4" patio that I want to remove. What is the best strategy for this? Just rent a jackhammer and go at it? Rent a dumpster for the busted concrete? Can I knock this out in a day by myself?
Once its out I plan on throwing in some dirt to level it out and grow in grass. This doesn't seem like too big of a deal, am I naive?

thanks.

Just get some aspirin for the pain, back pain and blisters and any muscle groups you don't use.
That is a large patio, but it can be done .
I would go to the store and buy a diamond blade saw for your skill-saw to make some cuts. Then break it up using a sledgehammer and some leverage when you can. If you can snap it at the cut joint, you can get a long bar under it and stick a 6x6 underneath. Then break it with the #20lb sledge.
Or you can go the backhoe route, or rent a jackhammer, or just plain hiring it out is the best route.
I would get a price first and see what options you have.
There is nothing easy about breaking up, and hauling out concrete slabs.
Good luck, and congratulations on the new house.

Check out the electric hammers at your local rental place. One of these would make it a lot easier. Sometimes you can give away the concrete on Craigslist or Freecycle. People use it to build unmortared walls and raised gardens.

Travelover Makes a good point removal can be very expensive if you cant find the right person to take it away. If you use a regular construction dumpster your probably looking at about $750. If you hire some one they might be able to get rid of it for just transport cost. call around it can save you some $$$ and or your back

a bosch brute breaking gun rents for $75 day,,, if its a 4" patio, not a day's work to break it,,, 10cy containers're $400 here incl tipping fees - there, i dunno, but you need to know SOMETHING, right ? ? ? :D

Latest posts

Back