Front door jamb security- problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdavidse

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here and need some advice on beefing up security on my house. I live in a brick row house with plaster interior walls. Whoever installed the front door made it flush on the interior side inside a substantial trim piece. I have no strike plate at present, and need to install a hefty one. The problem is that the screws for any strike plate align with the gap between the brick wall and the plaster. It looks like there used to be a strike plate as there is a hole there, but there would be nothing substantial for the screws to grab. My feeling is that the door should not have been mounted flush, but a couple inches inside the frame so that it could be secured. I'm not keen on redoing the entire frame so short of that I would like to find an extended strike plate, with screws a couple of inches over from the edge. I cannot find such a product, however they make "extended lip" strike plates which is the right concept but extends in the wrong direction.

What is your advise on this situation? I do realize the prudent thing would be a full redo of the door frame, but I am seeking all, and hopefully easier options. You can see from the photos what I am talking about. Thanks.

dJUxqC

dJP6BX

You can see in the last photo the joint between the brick and the plaster.

It may be worth making a drawing and having an iron-works shop build you a custom plate.

One option is to remove the trim and chisel out the frame to take a peice of steel 1/8 x 2 1/2 x 8 drill for screws into the frame and the stud behind it and replace the trim. That reinforces the frame and you can get stricker plates with 4 screws.

To follow up on Wuzzat's plan, you could start with one of the door re-inforces that wraps the door behind the knobs and cut and drill that to make a new stricker.

Call a locksmith, hey have the large strikeplates. Not the big box stores.

Back