Can I repair a cord with brittle wires?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyhew

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an old Mac PowerBook and I've gone through 2 power cords that cost $80. They keep breaking near the place where they plug into the computer. I found some instructions online on how to fix the cord, but when I pull off the sheath, the wires seem brittle. A few of them seemed to have broken, but it's hard to tell because they kinda seem frayed/hairy anyway. Is there any technique for stripping wire that would enable me to do it with the minimum damage possible? Is there any possibility that it's OK to proceed as is?

Thanks for any feedback.

Best,
Adrienne

Frayed, brittle, it's trash.
I'd be trying to figure out how I'm using it or a better location so I do not move it so much so this does not keep happening.

Electrical cord insulation is easily stripped without cutting any of the actual wire strands by using a wire-cutting tool. They are available at any big box store (I've seen cheap ones for less than $12), and all come with a multiple-size stripping feature. With any luck, there might even be a sales person handy who can show you how to properly use it.

Back